Job Title: Program Commissioner
Classification: Seasonal (Fall, Summer, Spring), Paid and Onsite Housing
Reports to: Executive Camp Director
Supervises: Summer Activity Staff, Retreat Staff
To further the mission of Camp Kubena through the planning and delivery of program activities and events. Design and deliver program activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate. Assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the Executive Director.
Essential Job Functions
- Deliver a fun program to campers/groups.
- Evaluate program delivery abilities of staff.
- Deliver progressive program activities.
- Evaluate the success of the program.
- Coordinate all camp programs and campfire activities.
- Ensure that camp staff and campers/groups know and follow safety and educational procedures during camp programs.
- Assist in the implementation of staff training.
- Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment.
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures in all program areas.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
- Oversee daily checks of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Ensure that program areas are kept free of hazards and debris.
- Supervise and evaluate staff to develop and implement all facets of camp program activities.
- Regularly monitor work of staff.
- Provide feedback and guidance to staff.
- Provide recommendations and concerns to executive director regarding staff performance.
- Develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp programs and facilities.
- Create camper and group programs and activity schedules.
- Develop and supervise staff schedule for programs and activities.
- Collect and evaluate records; report and evaluate camp program and activity areas.
Other Job Duties
- Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Provide ongoing program ideas to counseling and activity area staff.
- 3 years experience in recreation/camp experience field.
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar population.
- Current certification in first aid and CPR.
- Preferred certifications: Life Guard Instructor, High/Low Ropes Certification (or ability to obtain)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Training and experience in instruction.
- Desire and ability to work outdoors with participants.
- Mac and Microsoft word processing programs as well as presentation programs.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating and providing necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Standing (sometimes for long periods), frequent bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering programs in the facility.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds periodically.
- Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions.